18 February 2009

Learning from Aviation

tA little clarification on what I meant through my last post.

My main point is that we can learn a lot from believing that the pilot operated within the full extent of his experience. And to do that may scare you if you really think about it. I imagine that I am the pilot in that Q400. If I am operating at the top of my game, I assume that I would not be anywhere near the experience level of the captain.

So I ask myself, how is it possible that I would have made the right action (as many people are quick to say they would have) when this crew did not?

That's the way I analyze every accident I read, and its the way I approach everyone in aviation. Assume that they have more experience than you, make better decisions than you, and think faster than you. Even with people who have less flight time. It will serve you well and you will never stop learning. Being a student to aviation is more than just reading lots of books and listening to your CFI. You gain knowledge through EVERYONE, including the kid that just took his first intro flight.

Flying is a wonderful craft that provides endless learning. You just have to know how to use every resource available. It's sad that accidents are part of the resource, but it is true. There are just too many people who look at an accident analysis, read "pilot error", and disregard by saying they wouldn't have made the same mistake. At that point, we turn away from learning, and our attitude becomes nothing more than pride before the fall.

Fly safe everyone

No comments: