17 February 2009

Quick to Point Fingers at 3407

I've been following the investigation of Colgan 3407 as close as is practicable.

I have friends at Colgan and they all knew the crew closely, and said they were excellent people and pilots.

It makes me sick to read some articles and forums around the internet that are already attacking the crew's performance. Long story short, no one knows what happened in that cockpit in the final moments. What I do know is that they did their best to overcome an emergency, and simply lost the battle. Sure there is probably an error chain that could have been broken at any time, but none of us is in a position to criticize their actions.

To anyone that is just entering the profession, I believe that we can do nothing more but support fellow pilots until facts prove us otherwise.

It is easy to point the finger and say we could have done it better. But we all could improve both ourselves and our profession if we believe that the pilots did their very best, and used the actual facts to prevent further accidents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! But, I do have some questions about the pilots experience, 3800 hours for a man that is 47? We all know the airlines are doing anything to cut cost, especially pilot pay. a PIC makes about $30k a year on a commuter airline. My flight instructor made about $18k and has about 2300 hours. Have you watched the video on tail plane icing by NASA. These turboprops are a bitch in icing conditions. The number ONE rule when in precarious situations is FLY THE PLANE ( I don't think that includes leaving the autopilot on till its too late)
My humble opinion
skipspi@netzero.com

Greg C. said...

Responded via email.

Thank you for the reply.